Tuesday, December 6, 2011

St Nicholas- joy found in the generosity of others



I decided this year, with our slight change to our our Christian faith (the conversion to Catholicism) we would celebrate St. Nicholas of Myra. I, for one, have never done "Santa Claus" with my kids, but we have played the game that when they wake up in the morning there were gifts that were not there the night before. We would also fill stockings full of goodies, but I had no idea where this tradition came from.

At Generations of Faith (family night at church) we learned a bit about St. Nick and since I did not have a book we decided to read together as a family from the official St. Nicholas website: http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/who-is-st-nicholas/. We also watched a small video on YouTube since it was late. I did buy the Veggie Tales St Nicholas movie for them to watch but since it was 45 minutes long, I decided they could watch it today-- on the actual day of his feast.

When they went to sleep I filled their shoes with traditional gifts (oranges, chocolate coins, and a candy cane) and I also gave each of them something fun for traveling. The teen got a kitty cat clock- he helped me pick out the original gifts and decided he could not live without this clock so we bought that, too. I put a picture of the teen's St Nick shoes on facebook but did not capture one with my Nikon as he is off to school long before I wake.

This was such a joyous morning- with simple gifts. Oh, and another small joy-- I got the gifts at Rite Aid where I get 20% off year round with the rewards and just found out that will go through 2012! Score! I hope you all have a wonderful day today.

Do you have any special traditions that you do for the Feast of St. Nicholas of Myra? I would love to know what others do since we are rather new to these traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment